CTS Engtec improves data center site offering in Finland
CTS Engtec, the leading data center consulting and engineering company in Finland has ‘hands on’ to improve site offering in Finland. CTS’s has holistic approach to assess and develop potential locations. Mr. Reijo Parkkinen, Director of Data Center Business and Mr. Antti Lukka, Managing Director of the CTS explains what means.
Site Ranking is the starting point
First part of the process is to assess the sites potential for data center use. CTS Engtec has developed Site Ranking methodology to rank sites against operational sites and sites developed for data center use. Assessment tells which sites are over the bar and feasible for further development. Early assessment ensures that efforts are concentrated to the best locations.
- We know that Finland is a top location and has many favorable characteristics, but it doesn’t mean that any site in Finland is suitable and attractive for data centers. It’s everybody’s interest to maintain the quality of the offering and screen out less attractive locations, explains Mr. Lukka.
- I’m confident to say that we have assessed more sites than anybody else in Finland. That gives us a solid base to judge suitability of the proposed locations, Lukka continues.
Holistic Master Plan
When a well justified decision has been made to develop the location for data center use, it is time to prepare a Master Plan. In Master Plan work the initial data collected during the Site Ranking is just a beginning. A proper Master Plan is based on vast amount of accurate and up-to-date information of various systems and physical conditions.
- We collect information on power and energy systems, connectivity, utilities, estate, site vicinity, zoning, temperatures, climate, waterways, logistics, local industry and so on, Mr. Lukka lists.
- The list is long, as it should be. Comprehensive data collection actually saves time and improves quality of the Maste Plan. There is no short cuts here, Lukka says.
- We are not doing the data collection and Master Plan alone. We always involve local and national stakeholders to ensure that we have best information available and best plans as outcome, adds Reijo Parkkinen, Director of DC Business at CTS.
- We encourage for collaboration from the beginning. And easiest way to achieve it, is to work together. When the local stakeholders are involved in Master Plan process from the beginning, they will become natural salesmen of the DC location, Parkkinen emphasizes.
- Potential investor sees and feels pretty quickly if the locals are really backing up the plan or not, Parkkinen underlines.
CTS has made several Master Plans over the years and has a very good understanding what is needed to convince investors. CTS’ Master Plans are much more than slide show, even though very often that is the visible result of the plan. CTS is using modern design tools and data platforms to present Master Plans in most digestible form.
- It is obvious that different presentations are needed for different topics. We believe in visual presentation, hence we include 3D models, on-line map presentations, illustrative graphics etc. to the Master Plans, Mr. Lukka explains.
- Graphical presentations are easier to communicate than written reports. Written text is supporting the graphics, not vice versa. This is especially true when you are presenting plans to investors from various countries, Lukka completes.
- If you are planning to survey investment possibilities in Finland, we encourage you to contact us. We can match your DC criteria against site offering in Finland and find the most potential locations for your operations, Mr. Parkkinen says to investors.
Copyright: Graphics by CTS Engtec
Reijo Parkkinen, DC Business Area Director,
Mob. + 358 400 682 272
Antti Lukka, Managing Director,
Mob. +358 40 535 0626
Type text here